Skiing vs Snowboarding vs Surfing
Sometimes, it is hard to choose which sport is the best for you. But, that is not an unusual problem among sports lovers. There are many people who would like to try something new and enjoy the fruit of their efforts, but they are not sure how to decide between different yet similar types of hobbies.
Heaving some lines about each might be a very helpful solution for those in need. Here we will try to explain the main point of skiing, snowboarding, and surfing. We will explain what a new sports member might need for training, but also some good, and bad sides for these categories.
What Are the Main Things One May Need for Skiing?
Just like with other specific sports, skiing is the one which makes you hire a coach. It is not good to train by yourself because there are some rules to adopt and it is recommended having somebody with a lot of experience besides you once you want to make the first steps on the skies.
The equipment you should have for a skiing adventure is not simple, so take into the consideration the following items:
• Skis – this is the main part of your equipment because without them there is no chance even to start
• Boots – believe it or not, there are special boots one should have for this sport. There are different types one can use, but if you are a beginner just look for the basic model
• Poles – it is possible to need them at some later stage, while in the beginning there are not standing like an imperative.
• Helmet – don’t forget to protect your head because you never know if you will fall. Besides, they will keep your ears and head warm.
• Goggles – these precious small part of your skiing equipment has a double role. It protects you both from snow and wind at one side, but also from the sun on the other side.
Clothes you use while skiing should be of comfortable materials with high performance. Although we mostly think that cotton is the best choice all the time, that is not the case when you are selecting your favorite pieces for skiing. Materials should be lightweight, but warm. These are some items you might need on your first day:
• Base clothing layer, both for your top or bottom.
• Sweaters – those which are light and specially made for skiing. They are like a mid layer part.
• Socks have to be long and flexible
• Pants are wanted as a waterproof part of your suit
• Jackets should be of a high quality and nice fitting, as they might limit your moves
• Gloves are always necessary, at least one pair of them
• Neck gaiters are last part, but they are equally important for your neck protection
The Main Points About Snowboarding
Snowboarding is also one attractive sport which can give you pleasure but also can cause injuries if you are not careful. Due to specific movements and dangerous rides, you should also have some basic and protective equipment. The following items are more than necessary:
• Snowboard – of course, one cannot even imagine this sport without the main part of the equipment. The base of the board can be extruded or sintered. The board itself can be of a different type, like freestyle made, freeride board or alpine variant of the board.
• Snowboarding boots are very important for snowboarders. One can make their own choice between standard, step-in or hard boots. It is important to emphasize that hard boots are used for alpine snowboarding, while in other cases it is better to have plastic boots as the soft solution.
• Bindings – these parts are something that you can stick to a snowboard and thus help to keep the boots connected to it exactly at the right part. The users also have a wide choice of bindings and there are different types, such as a strap, step-in, and hybrid bindings.
The Miracle of Surfing
Just like before mentioned sports, surfing has its own place in this world. While skiing and snowboarding are sports on the snow, surfing is strongly connected to water, so it is easy for you to decide in which direction to move.
If you are one of those with a passion for the water sports, get ready to take a look over surfing equipment which you might need for your first class. It is important to have the following things:
• Surfboard, as the first and the most important part, which is essential for every surfer
• Wetsuit – this one is necessary due to wet weather. But, it has to be flexible and comfortable to use because you should be able to move in the water.
• A surfboard leash is extremely important for beginners because it helps surfers to stay on board, even when the wind is strong and the waves are unpredictable.
• Surf wax – a type of cover which helps surfers to stay on the board and avoid slipping off it.
While these are the main elements which you have to take with you for your surfing day, it is good to have some additional parts, such as fins, earplugs, boots, gloves, plugs, surf watch, camera, and anything else you might think will be useful on the beach.
Good and Bad Sides of All Sports
Although now you know what is necessary to have for each sport, it might be good to mention at least some good and bad sides which might have an influence on your further decision.
The pros of skiing are:
• It is not hard to learn this discipline
• The risk of injuries isn’t bad, at least according to statistical data. The highest risk is to get into a collision with other skiers and the most common are injuries of the knees or ankles
• You might move up with the lift easily because skiers always go in the same direction
• If you like snow, you will enjoy
On the other side, the cons are:
• You have to admit only slight mountains will be your choice until you are really ready to go on the big boys
• Once you learn it, you will have to pass the heavy task to master it
Snowboarding might offer you:
• Harder first steps, but faster learning and mastering the sport
• Easier handling of pain which comes after the training as you will use both legs at the same time
• The snowy mountains might be your perfect rescue
The bad sides of it are as follows:
• Your legs must stay fixed, so you cannot move one after another
• There is a bit higher level of risk for injuries, and the riskiest include tail bones or hard falls on your hands.
• It is always hard to jump on the lift system because you will have to switch from the riding side to the opposite direction
Surfing might delight you with the following:
• The high-intensity workout will make you feel better after every training
• One can enjoy in the water and waves during the ride
• It will make you have a wider approach to everything that surrounded you
• There is a risk of getting seriously injured if you slip from the board
• Although rare, some surfers meet the sharks
• Surfing is not a cheap sport, and money is sometimes a big problem
• You will spend a lot of time in the sun, under the UV rays
The Final Opinion
Every sport from those we mentioned is a great choice. The only thing you should do is chose which one is the best for you and makes you happy.
If you are a professional surfer, you might agree it’s hard to create a short list of only five things to pack when you decide to go surfing. While the time you spend on the board gets long, the list will grow. But, for beginners, it is always good to read about the essential things you should have for your first adventure.
Classifying only five things is not an easy job because people have different attitudes about the necessary items to have. However, although some facts we can’t underestimate, we will try to make a short and significant effort in our quest to bring you a thorough list.
Take Care of Your Surfboard
Whenever we hear about those must have things when going surfing, there is only one we all agree to be deemed necessary. Don’t forget your surfboard. Logical, isn’t it? You cannot practice a sport if you don’t have the main gear for it.
The waves sometimes act like we predict, but in some moments the sea is full of surprises. If you bring only one surfboard, and the weather is not what the forecast predicted, you might experience unwanted problems.
Many surfers, with lots of experience, know that the right surfboard is the most important part of their equipment. Thus, don’t be surprised if you see some guys walking around with a few different surfboards at any given time. No, they are not uninformed, they just know the weather can change at any moments notice, so they will use the one which fits best. They only have spare surfboards to use when they need them.
On the other side, surfers who travel have an immense knowledge about where to rent the equipment.
It is up to you to decide which solution is better, but one is certain – no surfboard, no surfing.
Don’t Slip down the Board
Nobody wants to slip off the board in the middle of the sea. Okay, what happens when you can’t avoid a big wave that’ll literally throw you down. But, some surfers that are at new at the beginning fall every few minutes.
Why does this happen?
The answer is simple – they forget to put a surf wax. Although this item might not look important, the truth is the opposite. Without it, your feet will be unstable on the board and even small water movement can make you finish down.
Some users apply surf wax on the big part of the board, while there are some that cover the complete area. The only thing one should think about before an application is the weather. This is what you need to check before buying:
• Traditional, hard surf wax is the one which you can use during hot weather and days with a lot of sun
• Soft wax is one of the newer products out and it stands for an alternative to the hard option which doesn’t give good results in the moments of cold weather. Soft variant works perfectly even with cold temperatures.
Some surfers even use a base-coat wax before they apply the wax over their boards. This is also a good solution which is worth a try.
Cheap, but Necessary Fin Keys
With almost every surfboard you will get a set of fin keys. But, would that be enough to have a high-quality experience on the waves? Probably not, and here we will try to explain why we think that.
Thanks to small keys you will be able to tune your board and its performance. If you stay without the usable kit, you might experience some technical difficulties.
There are two main types of fin keys and these are as follows:
• Glassed-in fins stand secure as part of your surfboard, but they are not easy for maintenance and fast repairs
• Swappable or so-called removable fins don’t necessarily stand directly on the board and one can easily move them into the boxes. The only thing you should pay attention to here is if the screws are tight enough, but not too much
As we mentioned in boxes in an earlier section, we can mention there are also different types available as follows:
• FCS Fin boxes which are known as Fin Control System Boxes, are common in use among many surfers
• Futures fin boxes which have a truss base and are connected to your board with screws. They cover the full length of your board.
First Aid Kit Is Always Necessary
All travelers should have at least a basic first aid kit with themselves. But, when we speak about surfers, it is hard to say they only need a basic kit. Maybe, we can classify a few things in this category and consider it to one unique point. This package could include:
• The real first aid kit – you will need one in case you get reef cuts. It is not rare to get these cuts when you are somewhere over the reefs and thus is better to be prepared because of the strong poison. The wounds should be cleaned fast and precise, soon as you come out of the sea. Make sure to visit a doctor as soon as you can.
• Sun protection – this is not a part of a normal first aid kit. But, those who spend time in the sun should always have this like precaution from the sunburns. It is better to prevent, then to heal. Besides, the UV index is not something one should play with nowadays.
• Insect repellent – it is always good to have one against those pesky bites because they can also create wounds if you irritate your skin too much.
Last but Not the Least
In the end, we will say one should always have money and identification documents. This point might be the most important thing to have because if you have money, you can buy everything we already mentioned above.
On the other side, depending on where you travel, always bring your passport or ID card. Although this sounds funny, there are many tourists that start a trip without documents and somewhere on the half-way remember they forgot them. You don’t want to be in a similar situation?
Surfing is fun, but still a very demanding sport. Besides all those things we mentioned that is important to bring with you, there are many others which deserve to find a place in your backpack.
What we would like to emphasize in these last lines of our writing is one very good habit which all travelers should adopt. The same stands for surfers. Try to make a checklist that will cover all the things you might need. While you pack your things, check one by one to be sure everything is in order. This will save you time and help you avoid any trouble.
The good thing is that the list can be changed after each journey and you can add or exclude some items based on your likings. Once you go for it, you will see how easy everything can be and your holiday can turn into a really great time.
Best Ski Resorts To Visit
Are you one of those people who can’t wait for winter to end to finally take a vacation? Well, a skiing resort could be your next getaway! Before deciding where you want to spend a few days of your precious free time, read about some of the best ski resorts in the world.
The truth is most of them are located somewhere in Europe, particularly in Austria and France. However, good skiing spots are not limited to these countries only as we will discuss some great places around the globe. So pack your bags and get ready for your next vacation!
Jackson Hole – Beautiful Ski Place in the USA
If we start with the United States, one of the most beautiful places for skiing is probably the Jackson Hole in Wyoming. The Grand Tetons region is where real natural beauty lies. This is a perfect place for your skiing getaway. Besides the fact that you can enjoy beautiful ski trails, there are many other things you can do during your stay, which include:
Snowmobiling in the Jackson Hole
Enjoying the Jackson Hole Heliskiing
Visiting Yellowstone national park and snowmobiling
Dog Sledding with beautiful Huskies
Visiting National Elk Refuge and sleigh rides
Paragliding or having a great time during a scenic glider flight
Heading to Canada and Whistler
From the bottom of the Whistler Mountain, somewhere in the Whistler Village, people are looking for a ski lift to take them up somewhere high to enjoy some of the best ski trails in Canada. It is not a secret that many Hollywood stars like to spend their winter holiday here at the resorts. Would you like to try your next ride with some famous singer or actor? If this sounds good to you, then this might be your next trip.
Those who like to combine skiing with other activities can take a look at some additional things to do:
Ice skating and climbing
Winter Bungee jumping
Snowshoeing, snowmobiling and sleigh ride
Hockey tours or eagle viewing
Skiing Paradise in Argentina
Once you visit Cerro Catedral in Argentina, you might cry when you have to leave. This place is absolutely amazing and famous with students and young people. It is located in Patagonia and represents one of the most beautiful resorts in South America.
All the visitors can enjoy real snowflakes which cover the ski trails because Cerro Catedral has an amazing system for snow-making. Once you’re tired of white paths, you can choose to do something different and spend some time hiking, mountain biking, off-site skiing, sleds and many other activities this place can offer to its guests.
Would You Like to Visit Scotland?
If you want to be somewhere in Europe, but still on the island, Scotland might be a top-notch getaway during the winter time. It is considered one of the best ski resorts in the world.
One of the most popular destinations for skiing in this country is absolutely Aviemore, a pleasant place for people who are really looking for a place where they can find some relaxation. Aviemore is next to Cairngorms National Park, so besides different snow sports, one can spend part of the time in other activities as well. Whether you decide to walk, climb the mountain, ride a bicycle or take your skis for a ride, it is certain the time spent in Aviemore will be one of the best experiences in your life.
A Different View of the World – Borovets
For those who are looking for cheap, but still a fantastic winter holiday, Bulgaria has something special to offer. Beautiful Rila mountain with a ski resort, Borovets is probably one of the best ski resorts where everyone can afford to spend some time.
This is an interesting and live place, with a pleasant atmosphere and wonderful hosts. People are always in a good mood and ready to help you. This makes tourists, particularly happy. Those who want to look a bit around over other nearby resorts we can recommend two of them:
A Small Country with a Wonderful Ski Area
Slovenia is one of those countries with a small territory, but with a big heart for all visitors. Even in such a small and probably not so famous country, one can enjoy and find a skiing getaway.
If you didn’t know where to look for the winter miracles in this country, start with Vogel. This place is a fantastic choice and represents a part of the national park called Triglav.
Once you finish your daily routine and ski exercise, you can enjoy the night-life, for which Vogel is famous for in the country.
Beautiful Zermatt in Switzerland
The high peaks of the Alps belong partly to Switzerland. If the Alps fascinate you at first sight, then Zermatt is a good choice.
Considered one of the best ski resorts in Europe, this ski resort can be a perfect getaway from people. Here you can enjoy four different ski areas and more than 220 miles of runs. Besides riding over the pistes, you can also spend high-quality time in some mountain restaurant.
Livigno – The Heart of the Alps
As we already said, Alps are one of the most fascinating mountains in the world and Italy is proud to own one part of them. Livigno is located very high in the mountains, on more than 1,800 meters above sea level. Thanks to this fact, it stands for one of the highest mountain resorts in the world.
For those who care about numbers, this resort can serve around 50,000 people in one hour. The good thing is there are many slopes for beginners, so don’t be afraid of the height, this place has something for all of us.
Amazing Slopes of Mont Blanc
Maybe because Paris is the city of love, France is always attractive to different tourists. If you are fascinated with a beauty of French mountains and would like to spend some time during the holidays especially in this country in the winter time, we can recommend that you visit Chamonix.
We all know that Mont Blanc is the highest peak of the Alps, and if you consider it with the beauty of Chamonix Village, it looks like there is no better choice for your winter holiday. Besides skiing, there are many interesting things you should experience once you stay there, and some of them are as follows:
- Visit Mer de Glace, known as Sea of Ice because it is one of the largest glaciers in Europe
- Going to Aiguille du Midi and Panoramic Mont-Blanc Gondola
- Spending time at Museum of Alpine History in Chamonix Palace
Winter in Austria
If winter in the Alps is your dream, and you still don’t know which country to visit and where to stay, Austria might be the best place to offer you some relaxation. It is very hard to choose the right resort because this country has plenty of them. However, this time we decided to pick and represent St Anton winter resort.
This skiing getaway is located in Arlberg region and every year stands out as one of the most wanted destinations in Austria among skiing lovers. With more than 210 miles of pistes and other contents one can enjoy, St Anton is the place we just couldn’t avoid mentioning.
The End Thoughts
This list is not intended to represent the most visited places among the ski resorts but rather some of the best ski resorts around the world.